Ether Saga Online is a free-to-play MMORPG featuring colourful and cartoony anime-style fantasy game art with a strongly Chinese / oriental theme. It is the English version of the Chinese MMORPG KDXY.
Ether Saga Online is developed by Perfect World Beijing and is the English-based version of KDXY, one of the newest titles and most popular titles from Perfect World Beijing. The game is based on one the four great classic novels of Chinese literature, Journey to the West.
Ether Saga Online combines lavish graphics with a young anime style. It features a slew of unique features and systems that make the game truly one of a kind. Among its many revolutionary systems it features a fresh new Integrated Quest and Navigation System that allows players to seamlessly progress through the game with minimal confusion.
Unlike other games that charge subscription fees, Ether Saga Online is "Free-To-Play." Once inside the game world, players can earn and spend money to upgrade a large variety of items to enhance their game play experience. Players can acquire and begin using items in real-time without any disruption to game play. Digital goods that players can obtain in the Cash Shop include: items that can assist with mundane tasks such teleportation devices or consumables that aid player progress, others that reset or temporarily increase stats, expansion of storage capabilities, customizable fashion and equipment, such as mounts that allow faster movement and reduce travel time, social items and gifts that assist communication, and more.
- Integrated Quest/Navigation System – Players will no longer be confused about where to go or what monsters to kill. Quests will have "links" which allow players to click on them and automatically navigate to their quest objectives.
- Unique Races and Classes – Three different races as well as six different classes. Each class having its own unique play style and gameplay.
- Element Leveling System – As players level up, they receive points that can be assigned to specific elements. Each element has its own characteristics and affects the core gameplay of each user.
- Unique Skill System – Each class has a set of unique skills. Skills are not learned from trainers but rather on the fly through a battlefield menu system.
- Birthday Skills – Each character receives special abilities and skills related to the day their character was born.
- Clan Skills – Players can create clans/guilds and have opportunities to learn new abilities and skills as a group.
- In-Depth Pet System – Every player starts with their own pet. Players can tame and capture new pets as they adventure through the world.
- Fusion System – Players can actually fuse with their pets and gain access to new abilities and gameplay options.
- Monster Card System – Players can collect monster cards which allow them to transform into specific monsters. In monster form, players gain access to new abilities and skills.
- Crafting System – Players can choose from 9 different crafting and gathering skills.
- Reputation System – Monsters will have their own factions in-game. Players can gain reputation with these creatures and gain access to new content.
- Alliance System – Clans can group up into Alliances in order to combat difficult monsters or even other Alliances.
It is the Golden Age of the Middle Kingdom. It is a time of great prosperity and cultural advancements. Philosopher kings reign, the arts reach their peak, and wars between neighboring states have all but ceased. Unfortunately with this state of tranquility comes a sense of affluence and complacency never before witnessed. People become increasingly lethargic and arrogant, quickly forgetting the sacred customs and traditions of the ancients. Heaven becomes increasingly alarmed.
It is at this time that Nuwa, Queen of Heaven, concerned with the happenings on earth, decrees a celestial banquet to be held for the leaders of Heaven. The event, known as the Peach Blossom Banquet, is attended by all the gods of Heaven, their various ministers and servants, and a select group of mortals. The event begins peacefully but soon calamity strikes...
It begins with the action of one man. A highly decorated and arguably one of the most powerful militarists in Heaven, The Crimson General of the Heavenly Navy, drunkenly begins harassing the Moon Goddess asking her for a dance. The Goddess, nervous and frail, finds herself defenseless from the advances of the inebriated General... but as Heaven does not stand for such improprieties, the God of Decency, enraged at the General's heretical actions, banishes the immortal General to the human planes.
Following the General's disturbance, Nuwa calls for a toast and requests that her most cherished possession, the Divine Peach-Wine Chalice, be brought to her to settle her mood. Her servant, in his haste to please the disturbed Goddess, trips and accidentally drops the sacred vessel shattering it into thousands of pieces; all which immediately fall to the mortal realm below.
During the commotion, the Treasure of Heaven, which had been on display in the banquet hall, suddenly disappears without a trace. The treasure, a sacred ark infused with special magical seals to prevent any evil from coming near it, has now vanished.
These are the events that led to a state of emergency being declared within the Heavenly realms. Calamity, chaos, and accusations of corruption ensue. Dignities point fingers at one another, each accusing the other as the culprit.
A Heavenly decree is made stating that an expedition will be sent to the Western Lands to seek the knowledge, wisdom, and blessings required to calm and purify the Heavens once again. It is decided that a monk will lead the journey, and that he will be the one to retrieve the blessings which are inscribed on magical scrolls. Strong and virtuous warriors of the Earth's three races are to accompany and protect the spiritually advanced, but physically weak, monk.
In preparation for this mission, the three races of the earth – the Renzu, Yaoh, and Shenzu – are called upon by Heaven to perform specialized tasks to prove themselves worthy: the Renzu are given the task of gathering the shards of the broken chalice; the Yaoh are entrusted with the duty of tracking down the sacred ark; and the Shenzu are commissioned to locate the now-banished General who has now been deemed of great importance.
When these tasks set forth by Heaven have all been completed, each race will be given the honor of choosing their respective candidate to take part in the Holy Mission.
On a side note: Fate is a funny thing – as it turns out, a great error occurred during the reincarnation process of the General. The Reincarnation Wheel suffered a rare glitch and caused the General to be reborn in the form of a pig. Undeterred, the General remained true to his nature, and soon dark whispers of a powerful demon-pig terrorizing the countryside came to be...